Thursday, October 19, 2006

One Big Buddha!

dafo_1

On Monday morning Jeanette and I headed to Leshan to see my most favorite in China, Leshan Dafo. I was a little worried that the Buddha might be in the fog because of the overcast day. We were in luck, it ended up being a fantastic day to see this magnificent site. I really built this place up to Jeannette, so I was hoping she would really enjoy this beautiful part of China.

jeanette_kiss_1

You just gotta kiss the Buddha!

This was my second trip to see Dafo, but this was the first time I was able to climb the stairs to the bottom of the Buddha. Here are a couple photos from on the way down the stairs.


hand_1

The Buddha's hand.

jeanette_buddha_1

We had quite a hike down to the Buddha's feet and then all the way back up again to the other side of his head. I couldn't remember which way to go next and we ended up a bit lost and then outside the park. The first time we went we had a gorgeous walk through the entire park to the other side where the Sleeping Buddha lays. I was quite disappointed by my misnavigation, but we did make it to the other side of the park and in to see the other sites.

There is a huge Buddha at the top of about 170 stairs that we didn't walk up the last time we were here, but Jeanette and I decided to venture up. Here were some pictures at the bottom of the stairs.

jeanette_money_game_1

Here is this great little money game they seem to have at every Buddhist temple I have been to in China. There is a dragon in the bottom of the well filled with water and you have to try and get a coin in the dragon's mouth. Here is Jeanette giving it a go! Of course, more fans!

incense_1

My that is some big incense you have!

jeanette_temple_1

kim_temple_1

We made it to the top of the stairs and we found this little shrine. Check out Jeanette's extra arms!

jeanette_arms_1

sleeping_buddha_1

The head of the sleeping Buddha.


jeanette_fountain_1

jeanette_kim_bamboo_1

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon! I love this pictures!!!

jeanette_rickshaw_1

After a ton of walking up and down stairs we decided to take two rickshaws back to the car. Actually the 80 pound Chinese men driving the rickshaws decided that we would take separate rickshaws!

We had a fabulous and definitely tiring day! We headed back to Chengdu and relaxed for the remainder of the evening. We also gave the massage girls a call to ease our aches and pains.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I want to visit China just for the massages alone. Great pictures of you nerds as always. ha ha. How many miles did you actually walk to see that huge man?

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of Jeanette kissing the Buddha!

-Madeline