Sunday, July 09, 2006

Last Day in the 'Du

Today was our last day in the 'Du for 7 whole weeks. We am so grateful to my fabulous friends and family that has opened up their homes to us.

We had a bit of bad luck today trying to get ready for our trip. It was extremely hot and humid today and our upstairs air conditioning decided to go out for the second time in just over a month. Of course to the Chinese air conditioning isn't that important as most people don't have it so the urgency to fix it is not there. The second thing that happened was our water quit working. I tried talking to my ayi and the guards to our compound about the situation in my broken Chinese, but all it got me was 2 big water cooler tanks of water! I finally decided to call someone who spoke English and Chinese and they told us that someone burst a water main and it wouldn't be fixed for a long time. Now, what is a long time? We decided to take matters into our own hands and checked in to the Kempinski Hotel for our last day. I thought it was fitting because the Kempinski is where we started our journey in China last September. We just got a page and the water should be back on by midnight. I will be sound asleep in my nice cozy hotel room!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! 7 weeks! I didn't know it was so long. Have so much fun Kim! and have safe travels!
Sorry about the water and air conditioning. What a way to leave for a vacation.
Miss you,
Maura

VeryApeAZ said...

Poor Jonny,
He's left behind to survive with no A/C! Can't wait to meet!